A few weeks ago, I ran out of my wonderful Yes to Tomatoes Moisturizer. I was super sad about this, but figured it’d be a good time to try a new face lotion.
I had to go to Publix anyways, in order to get my grocery shopping done. I stopped in the cosmetics aisle and picked up Neutrogena Naturals Multi-Vitamin Nourishing Moisturizer.
(See my pretty new nail wraps? Those are by Essie. Review going up tonight or tomorrow!)
It cost about $15.99. The packaging was really pretty, very pale, sage green. Talking up all the benefits. Claiming that it “Replenishes essential skin nutrients + continuous nourishment throughout the day.” The package stated that it won’t clog pores, and of course, Neutrogena is dermatologist recommended. Nice. It contains vitamins B, C, E and antioxidant omega bionutrients. It’s also stated to be 97% naturally derived. Well fuck me. My Yes to Tomatoes is only 96% naturally derived! THIS SHIT IS GONNA BE AWESOME.
Well, I get home, put my groceries away, and wash my face to prep for the lotion. I’ve used Neutrogena face washes in the past with varying degrees of success, the blue foaming face wash always worked wonders, and it also removes makeup quite effectively, so it’s in my shower regularly. I’m currently using Burt’s Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream which I’m madly in love with. The scent alone is enough to make your pores dance. Anyways, washed my face. Patted it dry. Pulled out the Neutrogena Naturals.
I open the flip top lid and dispensed a small amount of the moisturizer onto my finger tips. I noticed right away that it was very cold and runny, so I gooped it back into the bottle, shook it up, and tried again. Same thing. Okay, so this stuff is more thin than what I’m used to, I can live with that. I started at my neck and worked my way up to the top of my forehead. It’s something I learned from a Mary Kay lady years ago at a Mary Kay party. She said “Ladies, we have enough working against our face to drag it down. When you apply anything to your face, bring it up.” It made sense in my 17 year old brain, and it makes sense now, eight years later.
Okay, the next thing I noticed was the scent. Um. This stuff is supposed to be natural. 97% natural, in fact. I think that they spent the other 3% on bottling the smell of public restrooms. This lotion is BAD. Like, at first you think it smells kind of nice. Not too strong, not too light…But then, you finally place it. A freshly cleaned truck stop restroom is still a truck stop restroom, and that’s what this smelled like. Oh my god. Gag me with a spoon.
So I did what anyone who doesn’t like to spend a ton of money, but at the same time splurges nearly every other day on hair and makeup and nail stuff, and I sucked it up. I figured I’d give it two weeks, see if it worked wonders on my skin. I could always add an essential oil to it later to spruce up the gnarly stink that it gave off, plus, it’s not like anyone else could smell it. I wear BB cream and foundation which I’m sure could cover it up.
Well. It’s been two weeks, and do you know what?
FUCK THIS GARBAGE.
I NEVER break out. I get one pimple here or there, and I can usually fix it overnight. That happens maybe every four to six months. MAYBE. Well, since using this shit, I’ve developed SIX spots on my face. One under my nose, one by my mouth, two near my hairline and one on each temple. How fucking disgusting and unacceptable is that? Even as a teenager, I never had that many at once. So now I have to stay indoors for the next three days and wear no makeup in order to clear my skin up, and I’ll tell you right now, this crap is going in the garbage.
I’ve had some lotions and moisturizers that don’t work well. Some leave me feeling greasy. Some allow sunburn, even though they claim they have SPF (which, by the way, this does NOT even have), I’ve had some that just plain work poorly, either leaving my skin unmoisturized or scaley. This, however, is the opposite of what I want.
Underneath my makeup, it seemed to create areas that allowed for my powder foundation to bunch up and become very noticeable. When I went without makeup, it didn’t help with my nose becoming oily. The smell is bad. The price is high. The packaging is pretty.
That’s the one good thing about this moisturizer that I can honestly claim: The packaging looks nice.
Don’t waste your money and go buy Yes to Tomatoes like I should have done in the first place.
Do you have any experiences with Neutrogena Naturals? Is it just me? Do you think that restrooms smell good? I’d love to hear from you!